Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Too Much and Not Enough

Wow it has been a long time since I have written anything for this blog. Like many people, I have good intentions and lots to say, but the drive to be consistent with the posts has been taken over by the ‘doing’ of my business. So what have I been ‘doing’ for the past year? Too much and not enough.

I had reasonable goals to meet in 2008. I did get asked to speak at two conferences and did make one of them. I did get to write articles that other people paid me to create. I did get clients through BNI that were my target clients. I also added strategic volunteer time that I have truly enjoyed being a part of and have added to my businesses credibility. But what I didn't do was meet my financial goals. So, was I working too hard at things that did not get me what I need for my business or was I not working hard enough at the things that were required? Neither!

"How can it be neither", you might be asking. Because after a three month respite from doing sales for ClearComm I have come to realize that I was working hard at planting the seeds to grow my business with the right people but targeting the wrong businesses. It is always easier to know your clients buying habits after you know your client. What I found was that what I wanted to do for my clients was not what they wanted to purchase. I have products and services for larger companies that require a lot more control over their information and need to produce for a very global offering.

So what did I do at the end of 2008 when I realized I was not meeting my target financial? I began to diversify my income. I know ClearComm, myself and the people that work with me have a great deal to offer our clients so I am not willing to just walk away, but, I also cannot expect my family to continue to shoulder the financial burden of a company. ClearComm does require more investment to market to the right client. With this realization I embarked on some very different ways to make money so that I could meet my personal requirements and continue to work with ClearComm.

Through The Trump Institute I have received training and mentoring to help kick-start my real estate investment portfolio. With a great investment team at my side I am well on my way to my first office building purchase using other people’s money [OPM]. This will give me a regular cash flow to help with my personal financials.

Unfortunately I had to withdrawal from BNI since I was not looking at doing any sales with my business, but to compensate for the lost networking I became a Director with BNI Canada to help other businesses make their goals. This also offers some compensation as well as keeping me connected to the business community.

I have created a team to take one of my ideas to patent and hopefully to market. This product may be the start of a manufacturing business for me and a client for ClearComm. With the completion of the draft design overview, we are now just waiting to find out if there is any room in the Patent IP for this product.

I have also spent time writing a strategic plan for a youth venture program a local charity wants to start. Connecting them with the information they needed to be able to make clear decisions was a wonderful challenge. This project also paid.

Because of my volunteer time on the advisory board of the International Business Program with Georgian College and the leadership team with the Business Retention and Expansion program through the City of Barrie I have come to the conclusion that I would like to be a part of the city's governing body. Starting in November of this year I will find ways to raise money for a campaign to run as City Councillor in November 2010.

Some people watch what I'm doing and say, "you are doing too much" and others look at the financial results and say, "maybe you are not doing enough", but I think I have found a great balance that will bring me to the place where I can create a business that will give people the position they want and the income we all need in a great place to work.

No comments: